Bachelor of Arts in Communication & Information Sciences in
UA’s online Bachelor of Arts in Communication & Information Sciences (BACIS) with a major in Communication Studies equips you with the critical skills necessary to evaluate social issues, express opinions and assume positions of responsible leadership in a democratic society.
Tuition Per Hour$385
Connect With Others Through Effective Communication
Cooperation, negotiation and mutual understanding are the cornerstones of successful relationships at work, in the family and among our communities. Students in the online Communication Studies bachelor’s program learn the theoretical foundations, speaking skills, and critical thinking & research tools for the study and application of human communication in its many forms across social and cultural contexts.
The Communication Studies major consists of 120 credit hours.
Please note that courses are subject to change.
- 6 hours of freshman composition (satisfied by EN 101 and EN 102)
- 3 hours of math
- 6 hours history sequence
- 6 hours of social and behavioral sciences courses
- 3 hours of fine arts
- 3 hours of literature
- 6 hours of humanities courses
- 8 hours of natural sciences
- 6-8 hours foreign language or computer science
- COM 101 Principles of Human Communication
- COM 123 Public Speaking
- COM 323 Advanced Public Speaking
- COM 300 Human Communication Research
- COM 499 Capstone Seminar
At least 12 hours at 300–400 level and at least 3 hours of Writing credit.
- COM 220 Interpersonal Communication
- COM 250 Nonverbal Communication
- COM 270 Discourse of Sport
- COM 350 Organizational Communication
- COM 352 Business and Professional Communication
- COM 463 Relational Communication
- COM 465 Intercultural Communication
All students must complete a minor in addition to their major requirements, and students commonly select Advertising and Public Relations.
To apply for formal admission to any of the undergraduate degree programs offered through UA Online, you must complete an admissions application and submit transcripts from all colleges previously attended (and a high school transcript if you have less than 24 semester hours of college coursework). Transfer students considering admission should review UA’s transfer information and policies.
Applicants must meet one of the following admission requirements:
If you have earned more than 24 college-level credit hours at the time of your application to the University, you will need to meet the transfer student admission requirement of a minimum 2.0 overall college GPA.
If you have earned less than 24 college-level credit hours at the time of your application to the University, you will need to meet both the 2.0 overall college GPA required for transfer students, as well as admission requirements for freshmen students.
Inspiring stories of success from students and alumni.
Take a look at some of our UA Online stories.See All Stories