Public Health with a focus in Health Education and Promotion
Advance your career with a Master of Public Health with a focus in Health Education and Promotion earned online so you can help communities improve their well-being and respond to their health concerns. With an MPH, you can pursue a rewarding career working in federal, state or community public health agencies, consulting firms, universities or hospitals, as well as other research and nonprofit organizations.
Tuition Per Hour$440
Make a Difference in Your Community
A Master of Public Health with a focus in Health Education and Promotion earned online from The University of Alabama will expand and deepen your understanding of environmental and community health issues and strategies. Delivered in a flexible, online format and taught by health education leaders from around the country, this program is designed to equip you with the skills and knowledge you need to plan, implement, evaluate and advocate for health-related programs across a wide range of industries, corporate environments and communities.
- Application DeadlineApplications accepted year round
- Other Program SpecificsEligibility to sit for the Certified Health Education Specialist (CHES) or the Master Certified Health Education Specialist (MCHES) and the Certified Public Health (CPH) professional certification exams.
The Master in Public Health with a focus in Health Education and Promotion program consists of 42 credit hours, with each course being 3 credit hours. All coursework can be completed online, while the required applied practice experience provides students a variety of options to apply their learning. Please note that courses are subject to change.
Required Courses (33 hours)
- HHE 506 Techniques of Research in Health
- HHE 512 Advanced Foundations of Public Health
- HHE 515 Advanced Foundations of Health Promotion
- HHE 520 Theories of Health Behavior
- HHE 521 Basic Epidemiology
- HHE 526 Biostatistics
- HHE 530 Health Promotion Techniques
- HHE 565 Planning Health Promotion Programs
- HHE 566 Program Evaluation in Health Promotion
- HHE 586 Environmental Health Promotion
- HHE 587 Health Disparities
Electives (6 hours)
- HHE 584 Worksite Health Promotion Programs
- HHE 588 Sexuality Education: Theory and Practice
- HHE 589 Women and Health
- HHE 590 Certified Health Education Specialist Study
Applied Practice Experience (3 hours)
- HHE 598 Non-Thesis Research
- Talk with an Admission Counselor for additional information and other possible course options
View more information about this program through the University’s catalog.
A completed application package includes the following:
- Official transcripts from all institutions attended
- Undergraduate GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale
- Acceptable GRE score if undergraduate GPA is less than 3.0
- Statement of Purpose
- Application fee (if not paid previously as a non-degree student)
- Three letters of recommendation
Additional materials may be required. Applications are accepted year-round.
Inspiring stories of success from students and alumni.
Take a look at some of our UA Online stories.See All Stories
Elizabeth Truelove Fleet