MASTER OF ARTS (MA) IN
Health Studies with a focus in Health Promotion
If you enjoy leading a healthy lifestyle and wish to bring that passion to your workplace, the online Master of Arts in Health Studies with a focus in Health Promotion may be the perfect degree to help you reach your goals in the fast-growing health education and promotion field.
Tuition Per Hour$440
Help Create a Healthier World
Whether you currently work or want to work in a corporate office, fitness facility, hospital, school, nonprofit organization or another area, the online MA in Health Studies with a focus in Health Promotion can equip you to lead others toward a healthy lifestyle. You can help individuals, groups and communities achieve their health goals.
In this 30-hour program designed for working adults, you will learn to effectively plan, implement and evaluate health education and promotion programs.
- Application DeadlineApplications accepted year-round
- Other Program SpecificsEligibility to sit for either the Certified Health Education Specialist (CHES) exam or the Master Certified Health Education Specialist (MCHES) exam
The MA in Health Studies with a focus in Health Promotion consists of 30 credit hours. Classes are offered in a flexible online format, and there are no campus visits required. By taking two courses a semester, you can earn your degree from The University of Alabama in less than two years.
Students will only be allowed to register for 12 hours in the fall and spring semesters. Only under extreme circumstances, as determined by the UA Graduate School and the Department of Health Science, will students be allowed to register for 15 hours in a given semester. Under no circumstances will a student be permitted to register for more than 15 hours. Students can register for a maximum of 9 hours during the summer semester.
Students may transfer 6 credit hours into the program or take a minimum of 12 credit hours of electives, independent study or fieldwork courses from UA. Transfer credits can be no older than 6 years from the date the student graduates from UA.
Please note that courses are subject to change.
- HHE 506 Techniques of Research
- HHE 515 Advances in Health Promotion
- HHE 520 Health Behavior
- HHE 530 Health Promotion Techniques
- HHE 565 Organization and Implementation of Health Education and Health Promotion Programs
- HHE 566 Evaluation in Health Education
- HHE 521 Epidemiology
- HHE 584 Worksite Health Promotion
- HHE 586 Environmental Health
- HHE 587 Health Disparities
- HHE 588 Sexuality Education: Theory and Practice
- HHE 589 Women and Health Promotion
- HHE 590 CHES Study Course
- HHE 596 Independent Study in Health Education
Electives should be selected in conjunction with an advisor to support the student’s personal and professional goals.
All students are required to pass a written comprehensive examination that addresses the content of the six required courses in order to obtain their Master of Arts degree. Students must complete all required courses before they are eligible for comps and will not be allowed to register/sit for comps if they have an “N” in any required course. In addition, it is strongly recommended comps are completed before beginning elective course work.
Graduates of the online MA in Health Studies with a focus in Health Promotion may sit for either the Certified Health Education Specialist exam or the Master Certified Health Education Specialist exam. The CHES is a national exam to show employers that you have met the national standards to become a health educator. The MCHES is offered to graduates who have a minimum of five years of previous work experience in health education.
Watch a previously recorded online information session.
All students must apply for admission to the Graduate School at The University of Alabama. This process requires students to submit:
- Statement of Purpose
- Application Fee (If not paid previously as a non-degree student)
- Transcripts of all college coursework
- Three letters of recommendation
- An acceptable GRE score, if GPA is less than 3.0 on a 4.0 scale
*Additional materials may be required.
Applications are accepted year-round.
Inspiring stories of success from students and alumni.
Take a look at some of our UA Online stories.See All Stories
Elizabeth Truelove Fleet