Educational Specialist (EdS) in
Educational Leadership (Teacher Leader P-12 Certification)
Give yourself a raise! The University of Alabama Online offers an Educational Specialist degree in Educational Leadership (Teacher Leader P-12 Certification). This 100% online program is tailored to those looking to advance in P-12 education to further support their school systems and enhance student success.
Tuition Per Hour$440
Leadership Starts in the Classroom
Through a focus on research and curriculum, this program equips teachers to meet the needs of today’s students and to elevate the quality of education in their schools by influencing curriculum development and instructional delivery beyond their own classrooms. The Teacher Leader coursework will enhance your skills and knowledge. Our Teacher Leader alums are resource providers, curriculum specialists and school leaders who work collaboratively with administrators, colleagues and the community to achieve schoolwide goals.
- Application Priority DeadlineJuly 1 for fall admission; Nov. 15 for spring admission; May 1 for summer admission
- Fees$10 College of Education graduate fee (per credit hour)
- Required For EntranceMaster's level professional educator certificate and three years of P-12 teaching experience
- Other Program SpecificsCohort-based program
The EdS in Educational Leadership with Teacher Leader P-12 certification program consists of 30 credit hours and a comprehensive exam. Please note that courses are subject to change.
- AEL 612 Instructional Supervision and Mentor Training
- AEL 633 Adult Learners
- AEL 635 Ethical and Legal Issues
- AEL 661 Major Issues and Trends in Educ Leadership
- AEL 697 Seminar in Educational Leadership
- CIE 645 Teaching and Learning Communities
- BER 660 Evaluation I: Theory and Practice
- AEL 638 Solving Problems of Practice
- Advisor-approved Research Elective
- Foundations Course
- SPE 500 Intro to Exceptional Children & Youth (required if a special education survey course was not previously completed)
Admission to the EdS in Educational Leadership (Teacher Leader P-12 Certification) program requires the following:
- A master’s degree from an accredited institution
- A valid master’s level professional educator certificate in any teaching field or area of instructional support
- Three years of full-time teaching experience in a P-12 setting
A completed application package includes unofficial transcripts from all institutions attended, three letters of recommendation, a statement of purpose, and a Graduate School application.
Submit the following additional items to be included with your application:
- Other documentation of leadership capacity (evidence may include, but is not limited to, professional development activities, grants funded, and presentations/publications)
- Academic writing sample
Experience must be verified on the notarized Supplement EXP form. Section III and V should be completed by your current and/or previous school system(s) (usually the HR department); Section IV is not required. Questions related to acceptable experience or certification should be directed to Dawn Bryant, Coordinator of Graduate Admissions and Certification, at firstname.lastname@example.org. The original form should be mailed to:
The University of Alabama College of Education
ATTN: Dawn Bryant
Tuscaloosa, AL 35487-0231
- July 1 for fall admission
- Nov. 15 for spring admission
- May 1 for summer admission
If you reside or intend to seek professional licensure outside of the state of Alabama, please review the requirements for that state prior to applying to this program.
Inspiring stories of success from students and alumni.
Take a look at some of our UA Online stories.See All Stories
Elizabeth Truelove Fleet