EDUCATIONAL SPECIALIST (EdS) IN
Educational Leadership (Teacher Leader P-12 Certification)
Do you want to lead in your school and still engage with students in your classroom? You can become a teacher leader with an EdS in Educational Leadership (Teacher Leader P-12 Certification).
Tuition Per Hour$440
Leadership Starts in the Classroom
The University of Alabama offers a convenient online degree program with courses taught by the same exceptional faculty who teach on campus. Completion of the degree leads to Alabama Class AA Teacher Leader (P-12) Certification.
Through a focus on research and curriculum, this program equips teachers to meet the needs of today’s students and to elevate the quality of education in their schools by influencing curriculum choices beyond their own classrooms. Coursework will empower you with the leadership skills and knowledge you need to be an effective resource provider, curriculum specialist or school leader who works collaboratively with administrators, colleagues and the community to achieve schoolwide goals.
- Application Priority DeadlineJuly 1 for fall admission; Nov. 15 for spring admission; May 1 for summer admission
- Fees$10 College of Education graduate fee (per credit hour)
- Required For EntranceMaster's level professional educator certificate and three years of P-12 teaching experience
- Other Program Specifics*Test scores are waived through Fall 2022 semester applications; Cohort-based program
The EdS in Educational Leadership with Teacher Leader P-12 certification program consists of 30 credit hours and a comprehensive exam. Please note that courses are subject to change.
- AEL 612 Instructional Supervision and Mentor Training
- CIE 620 Design/Research Classroom Teaching
- CIE 645 Teaching and Learning Communities
- CRD 690 Advanced Seminar
- BEF 639 Education Theory and Policy
- BEP 601 Family, School and Community Relationships
- BER 600 Quantitative Research Methods
- BER 660 Evaluation I: Theory and Practice
- SPE 613 Consult Processing in Special Education Programming
- Foundations course
- Special education survey course (if not previously completed)
Admission to the EdS in Educational Leadership (Teacher Leader P-12 Certification) program requires the following:
- A master’s degree from an accredited institution
- A valid master’s level professional educator certificate in any teaching field or area of instructional support
- Three years of full-time teaching experience in a P-12 setting
A completed application package includes unofficial transcripts from all institutions attended, three letters of recommendation, a statement of purpose, official test scores*, and a Graduate School application.
Submit the following additional items to be included with your application:
- Other documentation of leadership capacity (evidence may include, but is not limited to, professional development activities, grants funded, and presentations/publications)
- Academic writing sample
Experience must be verified on the notarized Supplement EXP form. Section III and V should be completed by your current and/or previous school system(s) (usually the HR department); Section IV is not required. Questions related to acceptable experience or certification should be directed to Dawn Bryant, Coordinator of Graduate Admissions and Certification, at firstname.lastname@example.org. The original form should be mailed to:
The University of Alabama College of Education
ATTN: Dawn Bryant
Tuscaloosa, AL 35487-0231
*Test scores are waived through Fall 2022 semester applications.
- July 1 for fall admission
- Nov. 15 for spring admission
- May 1 for summer admission
If you reside or intend to seek professional licensure outside of the state of Alabama, please review the requirements for that state prior to applying to this program.
You Can Do It
At The University of Alabama we want your story to be legendary and it should start with an excellent education and great support. We can help you achieve that from anywhere in the world.
Inspiring stories of success from students and alumni.
Take a look at some of our UA Online stories.See All Stories
Elizabeth Truelove Fleet