MASTER OF ARTS (MA) IN
Secondary Education (General Social Science 6-12 Certification)
The online Master of Arts in Secondary Education for General Social Science 6-12 Certification is designed to equip educators with up-to-date, research-backed methods for teaching today’s students.
Tuition Per Hour$440
Bring Your Social Science Teaching to the Future
Foster the civic competence in your classroom that can change the world.
The program curriculum includes material on problem-based inquiry models, with a focus on political science, history and civil rights. The curriculum may also be customized for international education opportunities and experiences.
- Application DeadlineApplications accepted year round
- Fees$10 College of Education graduate fee (per credit hour)
- Required For EntranceBachelor's-level teaching certificate
- Other Program Specifics*Test scores are waived through Fall 2022 semester applications
The MA in Secondary Education (General Social Science 6-12 Certification) program consists of 30 credit hours. Program and courses are subject to change.
- CSE 530 Modern Secondary School Programs
- CSE 564 Improving Social Science Instruction
- BER 500 Introduction to Educational Research
- CAT 531 Computer-Based Instruction
- Foundations course: 3 credit hours
- Teaching field: 12 credit hours
- Elective: 3 credit hours
- Special education survey course (if not previously completed)
Admission to the MA in Secondary Education (General Social Science 6-12 Certification) program requires the following:
- An undergraduate degree from an accredited institution
- A valid bachelor’s level professional educator certificate in General Social Science (grades 6-12) or History (grades 6-12)
- Undergraduate GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale or a 3.0 average for the last 60 hours in a degree program, or a 3.0 or higher in a completed graduate degree program
- Minimum score of 300 on the GRE or 50th percentile on the MAT*
*Test scores are waived through Fall 2022 semester applications.
A completed application package includes unofficial transcripts from all institutions attended, official test scores, a statement of purpose, three letters of recommendation and a Graduate School application.
Do I need a teacher certification to apply to the program?
Yes, you must have a Class B or equivalent teacher certification in General Social Science (6-12), History (6-12) or Geography (6-12) to apply to the program.
Does this degree lead to teacher certification?
No, the degree does not lead to teacher certification.
Can I apply and start the program anytime?
You can apply at any time. Students are accepted each semester (fall, spring and summer).
Do I have to come to campus for any classes?
No, the program is completely online. While you’ll always be welcome as a member of the University community, including an invitation to participate in the commencement ceremony, you will not be required to come to campus for any classes.
Who teaches the courses?
The same professors who teach on-campus courses teach the online courses.
You Can Do It
At The University of Alabama we want to help you tell a legendary story, and that begins with a premier education and strong support. You can succeed at earning your degree from wherever you are. Want to know more? Let our graduates tell you their UA Online stories.
Inspiring stories of success from students and alumni.
Take a look at some of our UA Online stories.See All Stories
Elizabeth Truelove Fleet