Back to Bama

If you started your bachelor’s degree at The University of Alabama but didn’t complete it, we’d like to welcome you back to Bama. The College of Continuing Studies at UA is committed to providing education that fits your life. Initiatives like Back to Bama can help you find your place at UA, even if you’re juggling a family, career and other responsibilities and even if you’re not on campus.

Also, if you left UA with less than good grades, you may be eligible for Academic Second Opportunity (ASO). ASO is an academic relief option that allows former students to return to UA with a second chance at doing well academically.

To apply for the Back to Bama grant, to the cost of one course during your first semester of enrollment after you return to the university, you must first apply for readmission to The University of Alabama. Once you have been readmitted to the university, you can then apply for the Back to Bama tuition grant.

Apply for the Back to Bama Tuition Grant

Application deadlines:
Fall Semester – August 1
Spring Semester – December 1
Summer Semester – May 1

To receive the Back to Bama grant, you have to be readmitted and registered for the term you wish to re-enroll in order to receive the grant. If you qualify for the Back to Bama program, you can either complete your undergraduate degree on campus or through one of our UA Online undergraduate degree programs.

If you don’t qualify for Back to Bama but are still interested in working on a degree, check out our degree programs at or call us at 800-467-0227.

Back to Bama Eligibility

To be eligible for the Back to Bama tuition grant you must:

  • have previously attempted 15 hours at The University of Alabama.
  • not already hold an undergraduate degree.
  • not have been enrolled as a UA student within the last year.
  • have no holds on your UA record.
  • be readmitted to UA and registered for courses.
  • not have previously received this or any other College of Continuing Studies tuition grant.

What is Back to Bama?

Back to Bama is an initiative to encourage individuals who left The University of Alabama before they graduated to return and complete their undergraduate degrees. We want you to know that you still belong here and that it is never too late to come back to Bama!

How do I get started?

Contact the UA Online office at (800) 467-0227, (205) 348-0089, or or to discuss finishing your undergraduate degree.

Am I eligible for the Back to Bama tuition grant?

To be eligible for the Back to Bama grant, you must:

  • Have previously attempted 15 hours at The University of Alabama
  • Not already hold an undergraduate degree
  • Have not been a UA student for at least a year
  • Not have any holds on your record
  • Already be readmitted to UA and registered for your return term
  • Not have previously received the grant
  • Not be receiving any other College of Continuing Studies grants

Degree format options

You can enroll as a main campus or distance learning student.  Main campus students will complete their courses on campus in Tuscaloosa, Alabama.  Through UA Online, you can complete courses online or in other convenient formats, on your schedule from any location. View a complete listing of main campus degree programs and distance degree programs here.

What if I left UA in poor academic standing?

If you have been away from UA for more than 3 years and your GPA was less than a 2.0, you may be eligible for Academic Second Opportunity.

A UA Online team member can help determine whether Academic Second Opportunity is an option for you.

What if I want to change my major?

That’s fine. Your discussions with the UA Online program coordinator will help you identify your best path. Have those discussions before you are readmitted so we can make sure that you get started back in the correct college and degree program.

How much will it cost?

View University of Alabama main campus and distance learner tuition rates.

I don’t live in Alabama. Will out-of-state tuition be charged?

Students enrolled in a UA Online degree program pay the same distance learning tuition rate regardless of residency. Please note that the tuition rate does not include any course or test-proctoring fees. If you are in an on-campus degree program or if you plan to finish by taking on-campus courses, the standard campus tuition rates apply.

What kind of financial aid is available?

Financial aid is available to both main campus and UA Online students. To apply for federal financial aid (including possible federal grants and loans), complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online. If you have further questions about financial aid, visit UA Student Financial Aid.