MASTER OF ARTS (MA) IN
Secondary Education (English for Speakers of Other Languages P-12 Certification)
The online Master of Arts in Secondary Education with ESOL P-12 certification is designed for educators who want to elevate their instruction with practical techniques to teach speakers of other languages.
Tuition Per Hour$440
Cultivate Your Students' Language Proficiency
The demand for educators who can communicate effectively with students from different nations and cultures is greatly increasing.
In this program you will learn from faculty with years of experience in the field as they share cutting-edge, innovative practices for teaching students at different levels of English language acquisition. The program can sharpen your abilities to reach these students in your classroom or prepare you for a career as an ESOL teacher.
- Application DeadlineApplications accepted year round
- Fees$10 College of Education graduate fee (per credit hour)
- Required For EntranceBachelor's-level teaching certificate
- Other Program Specifics*Test scores are waived through Fall 2022 semester applications
The MA in Secondary Education with ESOL P- 12 Certification consists of 30 credit hours. Program and courses are subject to change.
- CAT 531 Computer-Based Instruction
- CIE 575 Teaching Emergent Multilinguals in Public Schools
- CIE 578 Second Language Testing, Assessment and Evaluation
- CIE 582 Development and Utilization of Instructional Materials
- Foundations course: 3 credit hours
- Teaching field: 9 credit hours
- Internship: 6 credit hours
- Special education survey course (if not previously completed)
Admission to the MA in Secondary Education (ESOL P-12 Certification) program requires the following:
- A bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution
- A valid bachelor’s level professional educator certificate in a teaching field
- An overall undergraduate GPA of 3.0 or a 3.0 average for the last 60 hours in a degree program, or a 3.0 or higher in a completed graduate degree program
- Minimum score of 300 on the GRE or 50th percentile on the MAT*
*Test scores are waived through Fall 2022 semester applications.
A completed application package includes unofficial transcripts from all institutions attended, three letters of recommendation, a statement of purpose, official test scores and a Graduate School application.
Students are admitted every semester.
Does this program require teacher certification in order to apply?
Yes, one must have a valid teacher certification in order to apply for the program.
If I have a degree and want to become teacher certified, can I apply for the program?
No, this degree does not lead one to become teacher certified if they have a degree in an area other than education.
Do I need to have teaching experience before applying?
No, you can apply for this program without having prior teaching experience.
You Can Do It
At The University of Alabama we want to help you tell a legendary story, and that begins with a premier education and strong support. You can succeed at earning your degree from wherever you are. Want to know more? Let our graduates tell you their UA Online stories.
Inspiring stories of success from students and alumni.
Take a look at some of our UA Online stories.See All Stories
Elizabeth Truelove Fleet