Master of Arts (MA) in
Secondary Education (English for Speakers of Other Languages P-12 Certification)
The University of Alabama offers busy professionals just like you the ability to earn a Master of Arts in Secondary Education (English for Speakers of Other Languages P-12 Certification) in a convenient 100% online format. Coursework in this program includes assessment and evaluation, linguistics, and pedagogical approaches to learning.
Tuition Per Hour$440
Cultivate Your Students' Language Proficiency
The demand for educators who can communicate effectively with diverse groups of students is on the rise. In this program, you will work directly with faculty with years of experience in the field and cutting-edge, innovative practices in the classroom. You will learn approaches and best practices for teaching students from varied backgrounds who are learning at different levels of English language comprehension. Through this program, you’ll enhance your skill set for fostering an inclusive educational environment for future students, be challenged with the most current pedagogical approaches and create lasting change for future generations.
The MA in Secondary Education with ESOL P- 12 Certification consists of 30 credit hours. Program and courses are subject to change.
- CAT 531 Computer-Based Instruction
- CIE 575 Teaching Emergent Multilinguals in Public Schools
- CIE 578 Second Language Testing, Assessment and Evaluation
- CIE 582 Development and Utilization of Instructional Materials
- Foundations course: 3 credit hours
- Teaching field: 9 credit hours
- Internship: 6 credit hours
- Special education survey course (if not previously completed)
Admission to the MA in Secondary Education (ESOL P-12 Certification) program requires the following:
- A bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution
- A valid bachelor’s level professional educator certificate in a teaching field
- An overall undergraduate GPA of 3.0 or a 3.0 average for the last 60 hours in a degree program, or a 3.0 or higher in a completed graduate degree program
A completed application package includes unofficial transcripts from all institutions attended, three letters of recommendation, a statement of purpose, and a Graduate School application.
Students are admitted every semester.
Does this program require teacher certification in order to apply?
Yes, one must have a valid teacher certification in order to apply for the program.
If I have a degree and want to become teacher certified, can I apply for the program?
No, this degree does not lead one to become teacher certified if they have a degree in an area other than education.
Do I need to have teaching experience before applying?
No, you can apply for this program without having prior teaching experience.
Inspiring stories of success from students and alumni.
Take a look at some of our UA Online stories.See All Stories