MASTER OF ARTS (MA) IN
The online Master of Arts in Elementary Education (Elementary Education K-6 Certification, with the option for Early Childhood Education P-3 if holding prior bachelor’s level certification in ECE) is designed for busy professionals interested in building their knowledge base and skill set by pursuing an advanced degree leading to K-6 certification. The program’s convenient online format is ideal for educators working full-time.
Tuition Per Hour$440
Advance Your Teaching Skills
Students in the master’s degree program will be periodically involved in practicum experiences that extend their studies into the classroom. The program provides grounding in educational research as it impacts schools, curriculum, and practice. Courses link what educators learn through research and instructional methods to student learning.
Teaching professionals who hold a master’s degree may have an advantage in the job market and in some states qualify for a pay increase. This degree program is an ideal choice for both new teachers and veteran teachers who wish to update their skills with the latest teaching methods.
- Application DeadlineApplications accepted year round
- Fees$10 College of Education graduate fee (per credit hour)
- RankingRanked 3rd for the Best Online Master's in Elementary Education by thebestschools.org (2019)
- AccreditationNational Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE)
- Required For EntranceBachelor's level teaching certificate in Elementary Education
- Other Program Specifics*Test scores are waived through Fall 2022 semester applications
The online Master of Arts in Elementary Education consists of 30-36 credit hours. In addition to courses in the areas of curriculum and instruction, foundations, and research, students enroll in 12 credit hours in the teaching fields of their choice.
Please note that courses are subject to change.
- BER 500 Introduction to Educational Research
- BER 550 Evaluation of Classroom Learning is required for those who have not taken an evaluation of technology and learning course as part of the undergraduate or graduate program
- CEE 532 Early Childhood and Elementary School Curriculum
- CEE 574 Guiding Early/Elementary Pupil Learning
- Foundations Course – approved by adviser
- CAT 531 Computer Based Instruction
- Adviser approved elective
- SPE 500 Introduction to Exceptional Children and Youth is required for those who have not taken a special education survey course
Students choose one specialty option (two are recommended)
- Language Arts
- Social Studies
Admission to the Master of Arts in Elementary Education requires the following:
- A bachelor’s degree in elementary education from an accredited institution
- A valid bachelor’s level professional educator certificate in elementary education*
- Undergraduate GPA of 3.0 or a 3.0 average for the last 60 hours in a degree program, or a 3.0 or higher in a completed graduate degree program
*A bachelor’s level professional educator certificate in Early Childhood Education is required for the Early Childhood option
Applications are accepted each semester. Students may begin the program fall, spring or summer semester.
If you reside or intend to seek professional licensure outside of the state of Alabama, please review the requirements for that state prior to applying to this program.
You Can Do It
At The University of Alabama we want your story to be legendary and it should start with an excellent education and great support. We can help you achieve that from anywhere in the world.
Does this program require teacher certification in order to apply?
Yes, one must have a valid teacher certification in order to apply to the program.
If I have a degree and want to become teacher certified, can I apply for the program?
No, this degree does not lead one to become teacher certified if they have a degree in an area other than education.
Do I need to have teaching experience before applying?
No, you can apply for this program without having prior teaching experience.
Inspiring stories of success from students and alumni.
Take a look at some of our UA Online stories.See All Stories
Elizabeth Truelove Fleet