Educational Specialist (EdS) in
The University of Alabama offers you the ability to earn an EdS in Elementary Education degree around your schedule – 100% online. In this program, you will have the opportunity to study current research topics and best practices to curate an effective educational environment for your students.
Tuition Per Hour$440
Model Lifelong Learning and Continue Your Education
Your coursework will focus on the constructivist nature of the teaching-learning process. Courses are taught by the same faculty who teach on the UA campus but can be completed online from any location. The EdS in Elementary Education is perfect for those seeking Alabama Class AA certification or the equivalent in another state and are interested in expanding their skill set through coursework in diversity, leadership, research and hands-on classroom experiences.
You will complete an action research thesis, which gives you the opportunity to teach a piece of curriculum from your own classroom or school in a new way and compare the results with previous outcomes.
- Application DeadlineApplications accepted year round
- Fees$10 College of Education graduate fee (per credit hour)
- AccreditationNational Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE)
- Required For EntranceMaster's level teaching certificate in Elementary Education or as approved by department
The EdS in Elementary Education consists of 30 credit hours. Program and courses are subject to change.
- CIE 625 Research Seminar Science Curriculum
- CIE 626 Research Seminar Social Science Curriculum
- CIE 680 Seminar in Mathematics Educational Research
- CRD 690 Advanced Seminar Literacy
- CEE 687 Topical Research Review
- CEE 697 Specialist Degree Research
- Foundations course: 3 credit hours
- Educational Research course: 3 credit hours
- Adviser approved research course: 3 credit hours
- Adviser approved elective course: 3 credit hours
- Special education survey course (if not previously completed)
Admission to the Educational Specialist in Elementary Education degree program requires the following:
- A master’s degree from an accredited institution
- A valid master’s level professional educator certificate in Elementary Education or as approved by department
- 3.0 or higher GPA in a completed graduate degree program
Applications are accepted each semester. A completed application package includes unofficial transcripts from all institutions attended, three letters of recommendation, a statement of purpose, and a Graduate School application.
If you reside or intend to seek professional licensure outside of the state of Alabama, please review the requirements for that state prior to applying to this program.
Inspiring stories of success from students and alumni.
Take a look at some of our UA Online stories.See All Stories