The University of Alabama offers degree programs that may lead to professional licensure, and licensure requirements vary from one profession to another and from state to state. If you are interested in obtaining professional licensure, please refer to the links below to confirm with the appropriate licensing body in the state where you intend to practice.
Out-of-state applicants should determine by reviewing here whether the University is authorized or accepting applications from the state where you are currently residing, or if for any special restrictions exist for your academic program of interest. Find more information here on the University’s specialized academic program accreditation.
Possible Changes in Licensing Requirements
Licensure information on this site is reviewed and updated in the Spring of every year. While UA has made every effort to provide accurate information, state laws and regulations are subject to change at any time. A student who intends to pursue licensure outside of the state of Alabama should check with their state’s licensing board for changes in requirements. Changes in educational requirements may impact the program’s ability to meet any new educational requirements for licensure in a student’s home state. Enrolled and prospective students are strongly encouraged to contact their state’s licensing body for information and guidance on licensure requirements for the state where they are located or where they plan to be licensed.
Relocating during the course of a program
Licensing and authorization requirements vary by state, and relocating during the course of a program to another state may impact a student’s course of study. Specifically, a student may not be able to continue in their chosen program, meet the eligibility requirements of the new state, and/or receive financial aid for their program of study. Students considering relocating during the course of a program should contact the new state’s licensure board to check for authorization and licensure eligibility requirements.
National Certification and Professional Licensure Boards
- Academy of Certified Archivists
- Alabama Department of Education (Out-of-state certificates and certification)
- American Academy of Nurse Practitioners
- American Association for Marriage and Family Therapy
- American Association of School Librarians
- American Counseling Association
- American Library Association
- American Nurses Credentialing Center
- American Society of Interior Designers
- American Speech-Language-Hearing Association
- Association of Child Life Professionals (Certification requirements are national, not by state)
- Association of Social Work Boards
- Association of State and Provincial Psychology Boards
- Certified Financial Planner (CFP)
- Commission on Dietetic Registration
- Commission on Nurse Certification: Clinical Nurse Leader Certification
- Council for Interior Design Qualifications
- National Association of State Boards of Accountancy
- National Association of State Boards of Geology
- National Association of State Directors of Teacher Education and Certification
- National Athletic Trainers’ Association
- National Council of Examiners for Engineering and Surveying
- National Council of State Boards of Nursing
- School Library Media Certification (Out-of-state certification)
- U.S. Department of Education