Bachelor of Science (BS) in
Nursing (RN to BSN)
The RN to BSN program of study allows registered nurses who hold an associate’s degree or diploma in nursing to pursue an advanced degree in a convenient online format.
*Credit hours are for nursing courses.
Tuition Per Hour$385
The Future Is in Your Hands
Faculty from UA’s Capstone College of Nursing bring their expertise and experience into the classroom to provide students with the training they need to be successful health care providers.
The baccalaureate degree program in nursing at The University of Alabama is accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education.
- Recognized as a Leader in Online Education
- Application DeadlineApplications accepted year round. Preferred deadlines: June 1 for fall admission; October 1 for spring admission; March 1 for summer admission
- Required For EntranceRN licensure
- Other Program SpecificsLate applications may be accepted if class space is available
- Are test scores required?ACT and SAT scores are not required through the Fall 2024 entry term
Students may complete the core curriculum courses, with the exception of natural sciences, online at The University of Alabama. The required nursing courses are also offered online. The online format makes it convenient for working students. Credit for 41 hours of nursing coursework is awarded upon admission to the University as an RN to BSN student. All core requirements must be completed prior to enrolling in any nursing courses.
Please note that courses are subject to change.
UA Core Requirements
- English Composition I & II
- Human Anatomy and Physiology with Lab I & II
- Chemistry with Lab or Biology with Lab
- Microbiology with Lab
- Intro to Sociology or Approved Social Behavioral Science Elective
- General Psychology
- History/Literature (9 credit hours)1
- Fine Arts
- Human Growth and Development
- Humanities (Ethics preferred)
- Computer Science
View more information about this program through the University’s catalog.
Required Nursing Courses – RN to BSN
- NUR 319 Nursing Informatics for Registered Nurses
- NUR 329 Inquiry for Evidence-Based Practice in Nursing for Registered Nurses
- NUR 348 Role Transition in Baccalaureate Nursing
- NUR 449 Community Health for Registered Nurses
- NUR 455 Leadership and Management Roles for Registered Nurses
- NUR 465 Complex Client Systems for Registered Nurses
1History/Literature Note: All students are required to complete either a 6-credit-hour history or literature sequence. Students opting to enroll in the literature sequence must also complete an approved 3-credit-hour history course. Students opting to enroll in the history sequence must also complete an approved 3-credit-hour literature course.
If students take two history courses and one literature course, one ADDITIONAL literature, humanities, or fine arts course is required to satisfy the 12-hour humanities core requirement.
Total credits required for graduation = 126 credit hours
Before applying, please contact Sanitria Armistad at firstname.lastname@example.org or (205) 348-2616 or (800) 313-3591.
To be considered for admission to the RN to BSN track, students must meet the following requirements:
- Hold an unencumbered RN license in the United States. If you reside or intend to seek professional licensure outside of the state of Alabama, please review the requirements for that state prior to applying to this program.
- 2.5 GPA in lower-division courses
- 2.0 GPA in science courses
- Graduate from an ACEN accredited associate’s degree program or from a diploma nursing program
Applications for admission are accepted year-round. Upon completion of lower division prerequisites, RN to BSN students may apply for promotion to the upper division for Spring, Summer or Fall admission by the following deadlines:
- Fall semester – June 1
- Spring semester – October 1
- Summer semester – March 1
Students enroll in nursing courses after meeting core curriculum requirements and upon acceptance into the Capstone College of Nursing. If the application deadline has passed, please contact Sanitria Armistad at email@example.com or (205) 348-2616 or (800) 313-3591. We accept late applications if seats are available in the class.
Ginger Whaley is a graduate of the online BSN degree program at The University of Alabama through UA Online. Hear about her experience as a student and how it has moved her career forward.
Inspiring stories of success from students and alumni.
Take a look at some of our UA Online stories.See All Stories
Elizabeth Truelove Fleet