Master of Arts (MA) in
Higher Education Administration
The University of Alabama’s online Master of Arts in Higher Education Administration degree program is designed to teach graduate students valuable leadership skills and principles to use as they advance their careers in higher education. Students will have the opportunity to explore trends in education related to academic and student affairs, technology, finance, diversity and inclusion, program administration, leadership and more!
Tuition Per Hour$440
Prepare for a Career in Higher Education
You will learn from faculty credentialed in higher education and cover topics in all aspects of the field. Gain a broad-based view of higher education, including practical and applied knowledge to expand your skill set and increase your understanding.
Our graduates are working in a number of areas in higher education, including advancement, business and financial services, advising, facilities management, human resources, alumni relations, fundraising, online education, financial aid, admissions, advising, enrollment management and international programs.
All undergraduate majors are welcome to apply.
The MA in Higher Education Administration consists of 36 credit hours and is designed for students seeking to enter a range of professional careers in postsecondary education. Please note that courses are subject to change.
- AHE 500 Perspectives on Higher Education Administration
- AHE 503 Learning with Technology in Higher Education
- AHE 507 Student Development Theory I
- AHE 520 The Student in Higher Education
- AHE 540 Organization and Governance
- AHE 550 Financing Higher Education
- AHE 593 Student Affairs Capstone Seminar
- AHE 645 Higher Education/Student Affairs Assessment
- AHE 680 Readings in Higher Education
- AHE 685 Implementing Multicultural and Diversity Initiatives in Higher Education Practice
- BER 540 Statistical Methods in Education
Choose one from the following list:
- AHE 505 Grant, Project, and Research Work in Higher Education
- AHE 603 College and University Teaching
- AHE 644 Seminar in Academic Program Development and Evaluation
- AHE 670 Higher Education Policy
Admission to the Master of Arts in Higher Education Administration requires the following:
- An undergraduate degree from an accredited institution
- An overall undergraduate GPA of 3.0 or a 3.0 average for the last 60 hours in a degree program, or a 3.0 or higher in a completed graduate degree program
- A five-page writing sample describing a problem that faces higher education today (nationally), analyzing salient points of the issue, and evaluating potential solutions. The writing sample should demonstrate formal writing and should include appropriate citations. Applicants may submit an academic paper in lieu of the five-page essay, preferably on a recent topic related to higher education.
A completed application package includes unofficial transcripts from all institutions attended, three letters of recommendation, a statement of purpose, and a Graduate School application.
- July 15 – fall admission
- April 15 – summer admission
- November 1 – spring admission
Inspiring stories of success from students and alumni.
Take a look at some of our UA Online stories.See All Stories
Elizabeth Truelove Fleet