Master of Arts (MA) in
Advertising & Public Relations, concentration in Digital Communication
Learn how to strategically manage communication across digital platforms with the Master of Arts in Advertising & Public Relations program with a concentration in Digital Communication. Designed for recent undergraduates and entry-level professionals, you will gain the skills needed to create persuasive messages across digital platforms that build awareness, interaction and engagement with stakeholders.
Tuition Per Hour$440
Prepare for the Future of Communication
This degree program equips students to understand the theoretical approaches that guide the academic study of digital communication in advertising and public relations. Coursework focuses on strategy and analytics, digital communication, advanced digital marketing and more, preparing you for a successful career in the growing world of digital media.
- Application Priority DeadlineJune 1 for fall cohort and November 1 for spring cohort
Please note that courses are subject to change.
Core Courses (15 hours)
- APR 550 Analysis and Insights
- APR 551 Foundations of Integrated Communication
- APR 570 Ethics and Professional Leadership
- APR 593 Global Communication Management
- APR 598 Industry Project
Concentration Courses (15 hours)
- APR 522 Media Strategy and Analytics
- APR 541 Digital Communication Strategy
- APR 542 Writing for Digital Communication
- APR 543 Advanced Digital Marketing
- APR 524 Reputation Communication Strategy or APR 525 Brand Communication Strategy
Admission to the MA in APR program requires the following:
- An overall undergraduate GPA of 3.0, a 3.0 average for the last 60 semester hours in a degree program, or a 3.0 or higher in a completed graduate degree program
- Video or written statement of purpose (see below)
- Resume with at least two references (preferably one academic reference and one professional reference)
- Three samples of academic and/or professional work, including one long-form essay or research paper (preferably samples that demonstrate your ability in advertising, PR or a related field)
- Transcripts from previous institutions
- English proficiency scores (for international students – TOEFL iBT preferred (minimum 90), Duolingo accepted)
Priority deadline of June 1 for fall cohort and November 1 for spring cohort.
MA in Advertising and Public Relations
Statement of Purpose Information
The statement of purpose is a requirement for the MA in Advertising and Public Relations and The University of Alabama Graduate School. It provides the applicant’s rationale for pursuing graduate studies and is the most important subjective measure of the applicant’s qualifications. The statement can be either a video (preferred – max. five minutes) or an essay (max. three double-spaced pages). Please upload a Word document or a PDF through the Graduate School’s online application system that provides either your written statement of purpose or a URL to your video statement of purpose (a public link either on YouTube or Vimeo – do NOT submit as a password-protected, private link). The statement of purpose must detail three things:
(a) how a graduate degree in advertising and public relations would help you address a key issue in the contemporary practice of advertising and public relations
(b) how a graduate degree will help advance your career in advertising and/or public relations
(c) why you chose to pursue graduate education at The University of Alabama.
For both the written and video statement, please provide your name and email address in the heading of the document. Preference for admission will be given to applicants that complete the video option over the written option for the statement of purpose. Email the distance graduate coordinator, Dr. Kenon A. Brown, if you have any questions.
Inspiring stories of success from students and alumni.
Take a look at some of our UA Online stories.See All Stories