Doctor of Education (EdD) in
Instructional Leadership, concentration in Nurse Education
This doctoral program offered by the Capstone College of Nursing and the College of Education prepares practicing nurses for faculty positions in colleges and universities.
Tuition Per Hour$440
In response to the pressing need to educate a new generation of nurses, UA offers an EdD for Nurse Educators.
Courses are designed and taught collaboratively by Nursing and Education faculty to ensure that students develop the teaching skills, research base, curricular knowledge, and technological expertise needed by faculty in community college and university settings.
Because most students who enroll in the program work full time, coursework is offered in a convenient format. The program combines online courses with just one weekend meeting on campus fall and spring semesters (Friday evening and all day Saturday). Courses are offered online for summer semester.
- Application DeadlineJuly 1
- Required For EntranceRN licensure, BSN, MSN
- Other Program SpecificsCohort-based program
Below is sample curriculum in which the program could be completed in three years. Please note that courses are subject to change.
- BEF 644 Philosophy of Science and Relation to Education Research
- AIL 600 Integration of Technology in Education and Training
- NUR 531 Nursing Faculty Roles and Responsibilities
- AEL 667 Multicultural and Social Education for Leadership Personnel
- AIL 602 Electronic Instructional Design
- BER 540 Statistical Methods in Education
- AIL 604 Distance Technologies
- BEP 541 Foundations of the Learning Sciences: Learning and Cognition
- NUR 532 Instructional Media for Nursing Education
- BER 631 Inquiry as Interpretation: Qualitative Research I
- NUR 620 Curriculum Theory and Practice
- AHE 603 College and University Teaching
- BER 640 Advanced Statistical Methods in Education: Quantitative Research II
- AEL 681 Ethics and Education
- BEF 641 Studies in the Social Foundations of Education
- BER 632 Reflexiveness and Resistance: Qualitative Research II
- AEL 695 Seminar in Curriculum and Leadership
- NUR 696 Doctoral Seminar in Research
- BER 633 Ethics and Aesthetics: Qualitative Research III
- Comprehensive Exams
- AIL 695 The Dissertation in Nurse Education
Advance Your Career in Nurse Education
The Capstone College of Nursing and the College of Education at The University of Alabama have partnered to offer a research doctorate that prepares future faculty of nursing for college or university settings.
Nurse Educator Q&A Session
This is a recorded PowerPoint describing The University of Alabama’s distance learning EdD in Instructional Leadership, concentration in Nurse Education program.
- An undergraduate GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale, a 3.0 average for the last 60 semester hours in a degree program, or a 3.0 or higher in a completed graduate degree program
- A BSN from an accredited degree program
- An MSN from an accredited degree program
- An unencumbered RN license in the state in which the student will practice
The above requirements are for unconditional admission. An applicant whose credentials do not meet the above requirements may be considered for conditional admission.
The application deadline is July 1 for Fall admission.
Coordinator of Student Recruitment and Retention
EdD Nurse Educator Program, College of Education
Professor and Nurse Education Program Coordinator
College of Education
Inspiring stories of success from students and alumni.
Take a look at some of our UA Online stories.See All Stories
Elizabeth Truelove Fleet